Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sugar and Spice, and all things nice..

I'm feeling a craving for sweet foods today, so here are a few recipes/ideas that I've used over the last couple of years and love.

Strawberry Orange Smoothie:

Super yummy - and not a bit of sugar to be seen! It's dairy free, sugar free, rice free, soy free, and no preservatives.
  • a couple scoops of plain coconut ice cream **My brand is Ciao Bella, because it is literally made only out of coconut and water(I'm sure vanilla would work too, if you aren't a huge coconut fan)
  • Coconut milk (Plain milk works too, if dairy is okay for you)
  • 1 pkg of frozen strawberries
  • Orange Juice **My brand is Simply Orange - again, no preservatives or extra sugar!
Blend it all together (varying amounts, according to your taste - I prefer a LOT of orange juice to give more of a tangy flavor rather than super sweet taste).

Fruit Bake

Kind of a misleading name, but I couldn't think of a better one!
  • Dice up 4-6 bananas in a baking dish.
  • Slice up approximately 4 apples and add to dish.
  • Mix in a handful of raisins
  • Cut up 1/2 - 1 stick of butter (Butter only has trace amounts of casein and lactose, but if you are sensitive use ghee (clarified butter) instead.)
  • Thoroughly douse in honey (Remember! Honey IS a form of sugar - so if you are going for a sugar-free approach, use Agave or stevia instead)
  • Sprinkle cinnamon on top
Bake in a pan at about 350 degrees Farenheight for 30 - 45 minutes (until the apples look browned and the butter is bubbling).

This is delicious and one of my family's favorites - my brothers don't even suspect that it is actually good for you!

Bon Appetit - I'll have some more yummy recipes soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment