Friday, April 2, 2010

On this Holy of Holy days..

So rather than be a good Catholic and fast today from food (which I technically can't do to begin with...though this is irrelevant) I baked again. I am enjoying my Easter respite by taking full advantage of having a full kitchen available...glorious.

The beauty of gluten-free flours and a full-sized kitchen! Mr. Woo, if you manage to get an off-campus apartment with a full kitchen...I just might have to move in. Please be fore-warned though...this is not actually because of you...I'm just using you for your oven and dishwasher.

I discovered new recipes! I'm going to be honest...this is going to take work to bake in my dorm...but I think I very well might have to try.

Apple Sauce Cake

That's right. It's made out of applesauce.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup of butter (softened)
  • 2/3 cup of agave
  • 1 egg's worth of egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup chopped dates
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened, organic applesauce
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups flour (I used 1.5 cups Amaranth flour, .5 c. potato starch flour)
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
How to make it:
  • Cream the butter and agave together
  • Add egg sub. and vanilla
  • mix in other ingredients
  • Put in a buttered 9x13 in. pan
  • Bake at 315 degrees for one hour
It's delicious. It has a spongey texture, even though when you look at it the cake doesn't look completely baked all the way through. It tastes very very similar to a "real" white cake! The mix tastes almost exactly like it...I can't stop picking at it, even without the icing on top!

I also made a pineapple upside down 'cake', but the cake batter on top was not nearly as yummy as the other cake I made.

So what I will actually do in the future, is use the applesauce cake batter and pour it on top of thinly sliced fresh pineapple (with agave drizzled on top of the fruit :) ) and then bake it at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. That will be a delicious cake....

Happy Easter!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment